April 27, 2011

Houston, We Have Liftoff!

Aside from dog hair and paw prints, I can now add baby drool to the lovely list of items that seem to find their way to my floors.

A couple of weeks ago, Riley started crawling. I say that conservatively, since it was only a couple of "steps" at a time. This week, she really started with the distance. She still doesn't have the complete hang of coordinating her legs with her arms, but she gets there. Her biggest hang-up are her "ham hocks", otherwise known as her thighs. When she goes from the sitting to the hands-and-knees position, 99% of the time, one of her legs gets caught underneath of her. Determined, she finagles her way out of it and is on the move. She is now boastfully cruising across the room. Seeing that she is in full teething mode, she usually leaves a trail of drool behind.

She is so proud of herself, as you can imagine. The smile on her face discloses her feeling of freedom, as she wobbles across the floor to whatever object it is that she's after. I, on the other hand, am sad. This is such a bittersweet moment for me. We've reached yet another milestone...just like that...and I know that with every day that passes, she becomes more and more independent.

I leave you with a video of the other night, when she was after my cup. And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment